These workshops can be one of the hardest to arrange, as there are many hurdles to overcome, such as:
- Finding a time to suit everyone’s calendar
- Defining the right staff to attend
- The length of time that’s available / required
- Finding a mutually convenient venue.
The workshop, which should be conducted after the value chain analysis has been completed, is used to:
- Verify the findings of a value chain analysis
- Identify opportunities and constraints to increased competitiveness and begin to prioritize them
- Facilitate the development of a stakeholders’ vision of a more competitive industry
- Begin to identify action needed to realize this vision.
The effectiveness of these workshops is directly linked to the degree to which private sector participants perceive themselves as driving and owning the agenda for change.
The end goals of the stakeholder workshop are:
- Bring together the participants from the value chain who have incentives to drive investments in upgrading
- Develop an action plan with stakeholders to move the industry to higher levels of competitiveness through some combination of increased efficiencies, differentiation strategies and taking advantage of new markets and demand.
You need to keep the structure of the workshops flexible, and each one should be tailored to suit each client’s and project needs and requirements.
Some of the key, high-level topics a Stakeholder Workshop covers include:
- What are the core business activities?
- What are the key business objectives?
- What are the challenges they face?
- Internal understanding and engagement with technology.
- How the current digital environment is managed.
- What they think about the current digital environment.
- What they want from the digital environment.
- What they think users want from the business digitally.
The pdf below is intended to assist value chain facilitators in the organization and facilitation of stakeholder workshops. It is organized into the following sections:
- Preparing for the workshop
- Facilitating the workshop
- Potential problems and challenges
- Guiding principles
Facilitating UX Workshops with Stakeholders in the Room
Summary: How to maximize the positive contribution of a variety of stakeholders in workshops throughout the UX design process while minimizing any disruptive or negative impact.