Montserrat, like many of the Caribbean islands, offers digital nomad visas. Montserrat’s digital nomad visa is called the Montserrat Remote Workers Stamp and was introduced in January 2021.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Montserrat
There are many benefits to working as a digital nomad in Montserrat:
- Easier entry terms and conditions to follow. In comparison with the other Caribbean islands, Montserrat’s digital nomad visa is similar, but it is easier regarding the entry terms and conditions that need to be followed.
- A facilitated visa process. Montserrat has a facilitated visa process; filling out the application does not take you more than fifteen minutes and can be done online. The processing time is only seven working days, and with this visa, you can stay for 12 months with the chance for renewal. The visa costs are only $500 for individuals and $750 for applicants with three other dependents.
- Tax exemption. As a digital nomad, you are not required to pay taxes in Montserrat. Naturally, you still have to pay taxes in the country you are registered as an employee in.
- Montserrat is quiet and relaxing. With a tropical climate and beaches, Montserrat is perfect for relaxing while working remotely. With constant sea and mountain breezes, the humidity is the lowest in the entire Caribbean. It is also ideal for those who are tired of working in large and busy cities. However, you can also enjoy many activities in Montserrat, starting from hiking to various water games.
- Internet. Just like slow-paced life, the internet speed seems low (5-10 Mbps), but a fiber optic network is in the works. Free Wi-fi is available throughout the island.
- Affordable accommodation. With a wide range of accommodation, you can rent different places, starting from simple studios to private luxury villas. You can rent a place without using an agent’s services. The average prices are $500 per month for individuals for one-bedroom apartments and up to $2,500 for luxury villas.
- Living costs. The usual monthly living costs without the rent are $1000, and for families with four members, expenses can be $4,600.
- Delicious cuisine. The national cuisine is a unique blend of British, African, Spanish, and Caribbean influences. You will certainly never be short of culinary options.
- Transport. There are various types of transportation. There are public and private buses and taxis that run daily. Public transportation’s monthly passes are around $25, and a daily ticket is around $1.
- Covid-19 free environment. With fewer than 6,000 people, it was easy to control the spread of the virus. You can work here remotely without thinking about the issues that might occur because of COVID-19.
Montserrat Digital Nomad Visa Eligibility Criteria
The Montserrat digital nomad visa is available for those who:
- Work and have a contract with employers from a foreign country.
- Conduct business with a company in a foreign country.
- Provide freelance or consulting services to clients with permanent establishments abroad.
- Earn an annual income of $70,000.
- Have valid health insurance with Montserrat and Covid-19 coverage.
- Have a completed declaration form at least three days before arrival.
Requirements for Montserrat Digital Nomad Visa
The documents needed to apply for Montserrat digital nomad visa are:
- Copy of your passport’s biographical data page.
- A passport-size photograph.
- Health insurance. You must have a health insurance policy covering you in Montserrat.
- Police record. The proof of a clean criminal record you can get at your local police department where you live.
- Proof of employment for a foreign company or the business incorporation certificate (as applicable.)
- Proof of annual income of at least $70,000.
- Proof of location independence work.
- Proof of relationship to dependents. If you have dependents, you have to submit proof of relationships, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate.
- Proof of degree (if you are a student)
- A list of items you wish to import free of customs duties, which are necessary for your job.
How to Apply for a Montserrat Digital Nomad Visa?
You have to apply for a Montserrat digital nomad visa online. If your application is successful, you will receive a Montserrat Remote Workers Stamp, which is valid for one year. The application steps are as follows:
- Gather all the necessary documents. See the list of documents under “Requirements for Montserrat Digital Nomad Visa”. If you are applying for your family members as well, each dependent will need a copy of their passport, passport photo, and birth certificate. The documents need to be translated into English and digitized.
- Start the application. You can start the application for the Montserrat Remote Worker Visa Scheme here. Make sure you choose the right type of application: the individual one or the family one. In the application form, type all the information, and make sure to double-check.
- Upload the required documents. On the online website, you must upload the required documents. Make sure to double-check everything.
- Pay the visa application fees. While applying, you need to pay the visa application fees. Individuals: $500 for individuals; $750 for individuals accompanied by three family members; then $250 for each additional family member. The visa fees are non-refundable.
- Submit the application and wait for approval. Once you upload the documents and complete all the steps of the online application, you must submit it. Whether your application is approved or denied, you will be informed via email. The processing time for approval is seven business days.
- Receive your Montserrat Remote Workers Stamp. If your application is successful, you will receive your approval via email. Remember to bring your approval letter with you to Montserrat.
Processing Time For A Digital Nomad Visa in Montserrat
The processing time for the digital nomad visa for Montserrat takes only seven working days.
How Much Does the Montserrat Digital Nomad Visa Cost?
The visa application fees are:
- $500 for individuals,
- $750 for individuals accompanied by three family members, then $250 for each additional family member.
The visa fees are non-refundable.
How Long Can I Work in Montserrat as a Digital Nomad?
The validity of the Montserrat digital nomad visa is 12 months, but it is possible to be renewed.
Paying Taxes as a Digital Nomad in Montserrat
There are four main types of taxes: income tax, property tax, company tax, and withholding tax. All workers are required to pay an income tax. The rates of tax vary from 5% to 40%, but the annual tax threshold is $15,000.
As a digital nomad in Montserrat, you are not required to pay taxes. However, if you are a citizen of the USA or UK, you have to file a tax return every year with your tax authority. Also, remember that if you rent an apartment, you must pay the 7% government hotel tax.