The best guides we found so far
- Tips for Managing a Remote Workforce During Coronavirus — and Beyond - interview with GitLab Head of Remote Darren Murph
- Zapier's Ultimate Guide to Remote Work - they've always worked remotely, since 2011
- OMG I'm working remotely, now what?! - from Benedikt Lehnert
- Resources for companies embracing remote work - from GitLab, gets into a lot of good detail, especially for managers and meetings
- Quick, work remote! - from Automattic's Erin Folletto Casali, a sensitive, specific, and super complete guide
- FYI's 180 Tips for Remote Work - crowdsourced, categorized, searchable wisdom
- Remote Resources - from Collaboration Superpowers, so much good stuff from celebrating remotely to building trust
- Remote Design Resources - Created by the Figma Community, including templates for designing together, games to play, plugins, tips and webinars.
Tools & guides
Get the most out of your remote tool stack
Deals for businesses in the time of COVID-19
In today's difficult times, most companies in the world have two main pains: how to survive in a falling market and how to transfer all their processes to the remote. As this trend is applicable to almost all companies in the world, many of them are now trying to support each other.
Digital Working: COVID-19
In the current climate, we at LocalGlobe and Latitude recommend that founders and business leaders acknowledge the possibility that all or part of their workforce may need to work remotely. Businesses need a continuity plan. A remote policy should be an important part of this plan, and we're here to help!
Remote Work - Wiki
This is a guide to help your company going remote. If you have ideas or resources to be added, feel free to drop me a message on Linkedin. I will update it regularly in the coming weeks. Cheers! Remote working is the future of work. By 2035, there could be 1bn "location independent workers".
Your guide to working remotely in Slack
Every day, all over the world, in teams large and small, people are working together remotely through Slack. Here, we've gathered a few of the resources we've created over the years to help people work in Slack-wherever they are physically.
New to Working from Home? Here are Some Tips to Help You Meet Like a Pro - Zoom Blog
New to Working from Home? Here are Some Tips to Help You Meet Like a Pro With many businesses now encouraging or even mandating that employees work from home amid global health concerns over the coronavirus, millions of people can expect to have their daily routines and work styles impacted.
Loom | Video recording, simplified.
Easy and free screen recorder for Mac, Windows, and Chromebooks. Record your camera and screen with audio directly from your Chrome browser and share the video with your team, friends, and family.
Figma: the collaborative interface design tool.
Figma helps teams create, test, and ship better designs from start to finish. Meet our customers Packed with design features you already love plus unique inventions like the Arc tool and Vector Networks, Figma helps you keep the ideas flowing. No need to stop to install, save, or export.
Tuple: a remote pairing app for macOS
While pair programming all-day, every day is never going to be my speed, there are still plenty of times where pairing is just the right thing. At Basecamp, we've been using Tuple for this to great reviews. Shatters the argument you can't remote pair in hifi.
A virtual office for remote teams
Re-discover the flow of working together in‑person. See, talk to, and collaborate with your team in one click.
Spatial turns the space around you into a shared augmented workplace. Remote users can collaborate, search, brainstorm and share content as if they were in the same room. Meet with anyone, anywhere in the world as if you were in the same room.
CloudApp | Screen Recorder: Video, Webcam, GIF Recording Software for Mac & PC | CloudApp
Thank you! Your submission has been received! Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form. Customer Experience Powered by Video CloudApp integrates into all workflows to help you get your point across.
Assembled | Modern Workforce Management Platform
We take you from forecasted requirements to a recommended schedule, in just a few clicks. Keep your team organized with our simple but powerful scheduling experience, honed by the workflows of over 100 support teams. Request & approve time off Swap shifts Manage schedules Generate schedules
Deel - Payroll for remote teams
Deel is the first payroll platform for remote teams that connects localized compliance and payments in one system of record and automates everything.
Notion tips for remote teams
Whether your team is spread across multiple continents or working together under one roof, Notion can be your hub for asynchronous communication. We've compiled these 5 quick tips to help you and your team get the most out of Notion when you're working remotely 🏡
Top 19 Remote Work Tools Every Distributed Team Needs
Some say that the future of work is about working remotely. This trend is now accelerating at a rapid pace due to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Not all industries can transition to remote working, like health workers and ...
How to switch your company to remote in a short time
How to switch your company to remote in a short time Panic - no. Remote - yes! Guideline created by 1. Ensure secure access to IT resources In some cases, to securely work from home, employees need to connect to the company's network via an encrypted connection.
Company policies & comms
Top company responses to COVID19
- Best Practices for Founders in the wake of COVID-19 - Written by the venture capital community in India, captures how startups should plan, fundraise, assess risk, manage teams, and more.
- Coinbase planning and response to COVID-2019 - comprehensive, great FAQ section
- Business continuity at Slack - Their customer-facing plan reassuring users, setting expectations
- Lattice Response Protocol - A Google Doc they're keeping up to date as conditions change
- Front's Health & Safety Framework - Great matrix for helping employees make good decisions
- Box response to COVID-19 - User and employee facing document
- Snyk Manager Guide for Remote Work - One of the more specific and tactical one of these we've seen for managers
- We're also grateful for and amazed by this tweet from Slack CEO Stewart Butterfield → another form of company response
Great threads for remote work advice
Info for staying well while at work
- Coronavirus: Why you must act now - From Tomás Pueyo
- COVID19 Tracker - The only database tracking all testing, negative and positive results by state and district
- Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities - Official CDC recommendations for every type of workplace
- How to Self-Quarantine - The New York Times
- Yes, You CAN Clean Your iPhone With Disinfecting Wipes - The Wall Street Journal
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update and Thorough Guidance - Detailed breakdown of what to know and what to do from Flatten the Curve
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) PSA for Startups - Good overview of health & financial precautions for startups from Elad Gil
- Fictiv HQ - Infectious Disease Prevention - A presentation Fictiv gave to employees to stay prepared
Other tips & posts
More quality articles to build that remote muscle 💪
Slack on Slack: Adapting the way we work when offices need to close - Several People Are Typing
It will come as a surprise to no one that we're pretty heavy users of Slack here at Slack. Very heavy users, in fact. Every day, we use Slack to connect offices across the globe, from New York to Munich to Pune to Tokyo.
Instrumenting Newly WFH Sales Teams - Atrium
1 Instrumenting Newly WFH Sales Teams www.atriumhq.com Continuously monitored performance analysis. Compiled over the weekend of March 14th in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Morale, Mental Health, and Burnout in Remote Teams - The Holloway Guide to Remote Work
In a distributed team, it's much harder for a manager to get an informal pulse for morale and mental health. You can't manage by walking around; you don't see who's staying late or leaving early, who eats lunch alone at their desk, or who seems unusually withdrawn or dejected.
The Remote Working Parent's Survival Guide - Ambition & Balance
My husband, Francisco, is from Chile and I am from Colorado. We're essentially flying solo far up in the Pacific Northwest since there are no family members to rely on for long-term, short-term, date-night, or I-just-need-a-freaking-break childcare.
How to Work From Home With Children
If you work from home with your kids around, you know it can be a challenge when you need to focus on one or the other. These tips can help. Working while parenting can be stressful, but it's a reality for the 61.9 percent of married-couple families with children under 18 in which both parents work.
GitLab's Guide to All-Remote
GitLab is the world's largest all-remote company with over 1,200 team members located in more than 65 countries around the world. On this page and subpages, we'll share what "all-remote" really means, how it works at GitLab, some tips and tricks for remote teams, and resources to learn more.
11 Best Practices for Working Remotely
There isn't much mystery when it comes to working in an office. Every day, you: Get dressed in company-appropriate attire. Commute to work. Join a few meetings. Take coffee breaks. Indulge in hallway conversations and lunches with coworkers. Go see a client. Commute home. Remote work is completely different.
Amid Coronavirus Fears, How to Support New Remote Workers
Here at exaqueo, we have been a fully-remote team since 2011 and some of our team members have been remote for decades. Getting comfortable with working from home and shifting to this kind-of-policy isn't a quick change. It requires thought and purpose, even if the decision has to be made quickly.
How to Build a Remote Work Policy (+9 Questions to Consider)
I've worked for companies that don't allow employees to work from home, companies that enthusiastically encourage it, and everything else in between. I have lived through the change in workplace culture from impressing my boss by coming in before them and staying later than them, to being available on email at all hours of the day, to finally being able to create a schedule that works for me without feeling guilty about it.
The Holloway Guide to Remote Work - Holloway
Companies are increasingly struggling to afford office space and hire and pay talented employees in expensive cities. More and more, employees want flexibility and choice in their work-to be near family, to be rid of time-consuming commutes, to have lower costs of living.
Coronavirus: The Black Swan of 2020
Here is a note that we sent to Sequoia founders and CEOs today to provide guidance on how to ensure the health of their business while dealing with potential business consequences of the spreading effects of the coronavirus. Dear Founders & CEOs, Coronavirus is the black swan of 2020.
How to Make Remote a Success
A couple of weeks ago, I attended the P9 Founder Summit in Malta organized by Point Nine Capital. One of the workshops was about remote work. Soon after, I led a webinar for the #p9family and I thought I would share our experience at Bearer thus far.
Remote Work FAQs
You can use a pair programming platform, a code editor with live sharing functionality, or screensharing tools with remote access. If you have the budget, specific pair programming platforms will typically provide a smoother experience and better remote functionalities than the other options.